New Opportunity Grant Provides Resources to Address Health and Wellness Needs of Charles County Residents
Organizations that address pressing social needs in Charles County are eligible for grants of up to $5,000 from the Community Foundation of Southern Maryland thanks to the generosity of an anonymous benefactor. The total funding available is approximately $45,000 and we anticipate funding nine applicants with awards averaging about $5000 each.
Grants from the Opportunity Fund are available to 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organizations, religious charities, and government agencies that provide drug rehabilitation, emotional rehabilitation, domestic violence, and youth wellness services to Charles County residents. “Through this program, the foundation identifies high-priority needs and seeks opportunities where a relatively modest amount of grant money can make a significant difference in Charles County,” explains Gretchen Hardman, executive director of the community foundation.
Applicants are evaluated according to a set of criteria that includes:
- The evidence of need for the proposed project
- The potential impact of the proposed solution
- The degree to which the project is consistent with or enhances the organization’s mission
- The capacity of the organization to implement and sustain the project
- The organization’s fiscal responsibility, governance, and management qualifications
- The possible use of the grant as seed money to leverage funding from other sources
- The ability of the organization to obtain additional funding to implement and sustain the program
- The degree to which the project complements other programs or services offered in the community
- The number of people that will benefit from the project
- The extent of volunteer involvement for the project
Awardees of Opportunity Grants are required to complete a detailed application identifying the number and primary age group to be served, describing the proposed project or need, and identifying the proposed project’s management and budget. Awardees are also required to submit evaluation reports at the end of the grant award cycle.
Applications are due on Friday, March 17, 2017, by 4 p.m. and must be submitted electronically. Awards are announced in May, and the grant period runs through May 2018. Application forms are available for download from the Community Foundation of Southern Maryland website at www.cfsomd.org/the-opportunity-fund-grant-program/.