Ways to become a philanthropist with the Community Foundation of Southern Maryland
- Do you want to give; but are only “rich” in assets? Donate a piece of personal property (art, jewelry, etc.) or real property (land, farm, acres, etc.) to the Community Foundation and we will take care of the rest. The funds made on the sale can go to a specific charity; an area of interest (like art; youth; etc.) or to the Community Foundation’s Capacity Building Fund. You pick.
- Create a Fund in memory of someone special; in honor of someone special; in your family’s name or call it whatever you would like… This Fund will distribute grants to a specific nonprofit or to several. You can be involved in the giving or let the Community Foundation handle the giving for you. As long as the Fund is giving money, you or whomever the fund is named after will always “get credit” for the contributions.
- Are you a non-profit saving money for a capital improvement project or just want to have additional funds always available for operating? Start your own agency endowment and invest money while you are saving it.
- Getting tired of the paperwork with the IRS — Dissolve your family foundation into a fund within the Community Foundation;
- Contribute to the Community Grant Fund – the CFSOMD’s own unrestricted grant fund used for distributing grants to non-profits serving Southern Maryland.
The Community Foundation of Southern Maryland Accepts:
- Appreciated Securities
- Assets of private foundations
- Charitable IRA Transfers
- Life Insurance
- Planned Gifts
- Real Estate or Personal Property
Donations of Stocks and Mutual Funds:
We accept electronic transfers of stocks and mutual funds. We also accept physical stock certificates, if they are in your possession. For electronic transfers, please give the following account information to your financial institution:
- Merrill Lynch
Account Name: Community Foundation of Southern Maryland
Account Number: Call the Foundation at 240.670.4483
For Mutual Funds, an additional Account # or Bin # may be needed.
When you call, please also provide your personal contact information, and details about the donated security, such as the number of shares and the ticker symbol. We can also provide any additional information you need.
The Community Foundation of Southern Maryland is flexible and has an option to fit your needs, your style and your personal goals.
Whether you are taking your first steps in philanthropy or considering a bequest or a family foundation to ensure lasting impact, the Community Foundation of Southern Maryland can help you develop an informed, powerful and completely personalized approach to your giving.